In the Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Bestower of Mercy
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
O youth, whoever amongst you is able to get married, then let him do so. Marriage helps to lower the gaze and to protect the private area. Whoever is unable to marry, then let him fast, because fasting is a protection. (1)
Understanding the Hadeeth (2/3):
1. Marriage is legislated in the Quran, the Sunnah, and by way of Scholarly Consensus (al-Ijmaa).
2. Two things are meant by ability: financial ability and physical ability.
3. This hadeeth teaches us to lower our gaze.
4. This hadeeth teaches us to protect our chastity by all means.
5. The deed of marriage is dependent upon ability.
6. Marriage helps to avoid fornication, impermissible gazes and lending one’s ears to impermissible speech…
7. The soundest view is that marriage is obligatory for the one who fears fornication.
8. The youth have been singled-out because they normally have strong desires.
(1) Narrated by Abdullah Ibn Mas’ood. Collected by al-Bukhaaree, # 1950 and Muslim # 1400.
(2) See “An Explanation of Umdatul-Ahkaam”, by Faisal Aal Mubaarak, pg. 281. (Benefits: 1-5)
(3) See “An Explanation of Umdatul-Ahkaam”, by Ahmad an-Najmee, vol.4 / pg. 175. (Benefits: 6-8)