In the Name of Allah, The Most Merciful, The Bestower of Mercy
The directive of Allah, The Most High, and His Messenger (ﷺ) to the Muslim that wants to pray is that he or she does not enter the Prayer except in a fine condition and having a beautiful appearance. This is because the Prayer is the sturdy connection between The Lord and His servant. It is the way that the servant confides in his or her Lord.
For this reason, Allah, The Most High, and His Messenger (ﷺ) commanded with wudhoo and purification for it, and the Messenger of Allah(ﷺ) informed us that the Prayer is rejected, not accepted, without it (i.e. purification).
Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
Allah does not accept the prayer of any of you, if he or she has broken wudhoo, until he or she makes wudhoo.
[al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]
1. Prayer is not accepted without ritual purification, wudhoo or a ghusul.
2. Certain occurrences (e.g. passing gas) nullify wudhoo, and invalidate the prayer, if a Muslim is praying.
3. What is meant by “not accepted”, in this hadeeth, is “not valid” and “not executed properly.”
4. This hadeeth proves that purification is a condition for the validity of the prayer. (1)
(1) See “An Explanation of Key Hadeeth from al-Bukhaaree and Muslim”, by Shaykh Abdullah al-Bassaam, pp. 23 -24.